Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Yes, Virginia

Yesterday I went back to my second office, the Coffee on the Corner, to "finish" working on my homily for Christmas Day. I was wearing my new sweatshirt, the one that reads "Yes, Virginia, they do ordain women." The man behind the counter gave me a thumbs up, very nice, but then he looked confused and said "so does Virginia not ordain women?" For those who don't know, I live in the state of Virginia. This poor lad was so mixed up. I explained to him that it was a take off of the famous letter to the editor reply. He nodded but kept looking confused. I tried to explain quickly that states don't determine who's ordained or not, but still, confusion.

All in a day's work...

7 comments:

Purechristianithink said...

things being what they are, I think we should be glad states can't vote on this . . .

LutheranChik said...

I was going to say, considering some of the citizens of Virginia (Pat Robertson, et al), it's surprising they haven't tried to pass a law requiring state approval of clergy.

Sue said...

I wore my "Yes Virginia" shirt to a rehearsal for a service I conducted with a Roman Catholic liturgical dance group. The dancers LOVED it!!

the reverend mommy said...

Obviously, he was in the state of confusion.

Caroline said...

maybe i'll ask for that sweatshirt for christmas. . . .

Lorna said...

state of confusion ... I love it :)

must confess as a non US citizen I didn't really understand who or what Virigina was or is :)

blessings

Katherine said...

Lorna- that phrase was a spoof on "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus," which I believe was initially written by a newspaperman to a young reader, but has become part of the pop culture.

Well, I figured those shirts would start some discussion!